In the early 1950's Father Robert J. Slavin felt in order for Providence College to be competitive in basketball, PC needed an on campus facility. Out of this belief came Alumni Hall, a 1.5 million dollar auditorium with a capacity of 2,620 which became the home of the men's basketball team.
After 29 years of playing at various locations throughout Rhode Island, the PC men's basketball team played its first game in Alumni Hall on December 3, 1955, beating rival Brown University, 77-55. The next 17 seasons saw the Friars post an impressive 179-27 (.869) record in Alumni Hall. In 1972, with the popularity of the men's program and the completion of the Providence Civic Center, the Friars played their last game in Alumni Hall in March, beating St. John's, 73-65.
Alumni Hall became the practice facility for the men's team as they moved their home games to the Providence Civic Center - now known as the Dunkin' Donuts Center. Two years later, in 1974, Alumni Hall opened its doors to a new team - Providence College women's basketball. Since then, Alumni Hall has been a very special place for the Friar team. In their 37-year history, the Friars have compiled an incredible 287-167 record (0.632) at Alumni Hall, continuing the winning tradition that the men's program started.
In addition to being the home of the Friars, Alumni Hall has hosted many tournaments, including the opening rounds of the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) and the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament. In March, 1993, Providence hosted the 11th BIG EAST Women's Basketball Championship. It was the second time in conference history that the Tournament was held at Alumni Hall. PC was host of the inaugural championship in 1983. During the 2010 season, the Friars hosted two WNIT games at Alumni Hall; vs. Old Dominion (2nd Round) and vs. Miami (Quarterfinals).
In the spring of 2012, the College began a $3 million overhaul of the storied facility, which includes seats backs, new lighting, air conditioning, video scoreboard and control room, media workspace, sound system and a host of other amenities. The renovation project was completed in October 2012.